According to the American Council on Exercise, lunges are one of the most effective lower-body exercises. They effectively strengthen your glutes and quadriceps and also engage your hamstrings.
Before taking on any lunge variations, learn to do a proper body-weight lunge first. Mastering proper form can provide optimal results and minimizes your risk of injuries.
The cues for the Lunge are:
- Engage your core and keep your back straight
- Step forward so that your knee is directly above your ankle as you descend
- Lower your hips until your front leg is at a 90 degree angle and your back knee is just above the ground
- Push hard off your front foot and come back to the starting position
- Alternate legs with each repetition